Hyde Park Barracks is a fine Georgian building designed by convict architect Francis Greenway and built by convict labour in 1817-1819 to provide accommodation for male convicts while making an architectural statement about colonial authority and civility.
The three-storey building is regarded as one of his finest works, and Greenway was granted an absolute pardon by Governor Macquarie at the opening in 1819, in recognition of his contribution to the colony.
Since then, the Barracks have changed use many times, and multiple refurbishment and restoration projects have been completed over the past 50 years.
The building is on the NSW State Heritage Register, the Register of the National Estate, the National Heritage List, and in 2010 along with ten fellow Australian convict places and institutions, was placed on UNESCO’s World Heritage list.
Hyde Park Barracks is managed by Sydney Living Museums (SLM).